Thursday, December 15, 2011

Carmel Corn



We like popcorn around here.  And we love our popcorn popper!  I won't take a picture of it because it doesn't look this good.  This makes some YUMMY popcorn.  One of our favorite things to do with our popcorn is to make carmel corn. 
Whirley Pop 25009 Popper Red

This recipe I got from my mom.  It is a great recipe to adjust to your taste.  If you like your carmel corn heavy on the carmel, use less popcorn.  If you like your carmel corn light on carmel heavy on corn use more popcorn.  My kids like the light on carmel heavy on corn version so I use two popped pots of corn.  It takes 1 cup unpopped kernels to fill up my popcorn pot.  

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/4 cup corn syrup

Melt above together over medium heat until bubbly.
Continue to cook 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add

1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Stir above ingredients into melted butter and sugar.  It will turn a carmel texture and color.
Poor over popped corn and mix (I like to use 2 table knifes to mix, watch out the carmel is HOT!)
Spread out on 2 cookie sheets and bake at 200 for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.

Allow to cool.  Break up and enjoy!
Keep in sealed container.


corn going in the oven
corn cooling


All yummy and ready to eat!
Enjoy!